Cost of Living in Costa Rica
Last updated on Jun 20, 2023
Summary: The cost of living in Costa Rica is generally considered to be quite affordable. A nice 1 bedroom apartment can cost anywhere from $500 to $1,000 per month, while a nice 2 bedroom apartment can cost anywhere from $700 to $1,500 per month. The cost of dinner at a moderately priced restaurant can range from $10 to $20 per person.
Is the cost of living in Costa Rica high?
We asked people how much they someone comfortably live on in Costa Rica, they wrote:
"Depends on lifestyle. I eat all my meals in restaurants, go to coffee shops, have a big social life and go on a lot of dates, I travel every month. My expense including all this are around $3500/mo," remarked one in San Jose.
Will I save money living in Costa Rica?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What should I pack when moving to Costa Rica?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Costa Rica?
- Will I be able to find a job in Costa Rica?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Costa Rica appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Costa Rica?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Costa Rica accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Costa Rica like?
- How are healthcare services in Costa Rica?
- What are medical services in Costa Rica like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Costa Rica?
- What are emergency services like in Costa Rica?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Costa Rica?
- How are local medical facilities in Costa Rica?
- As a foreigner living in Costa Rica, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?