Cost of Living in Aberdeen, Scotland
Last updated on Mar 09, 2023
Summary: What is the cost of living in Aberdeen, Scotland? Hear what expats, digital nomads and retirees living in Aberdeen have to say about the cost of housing, health insurance and general living costs.
Is the cost of living in Aberdeen high?
We asked people how much they someone comfortably live on in Aberdeen, they wrote:
"The cost of living in Aberdeen, can be considered moderate compared to other major cities in the UK. Housing tends to be more affordable than in cities like London or Edinburgh, with a variety of options available from city apartments to suburban homes. Utilities such as electricity, heating, cooling, water, and garbage are also relatively affordable. When it comes to groceries, prices are on par with the national average, with local markets and supermarkets offering a range of prices. Eating out in Aberdeen can vary greatly, with a meal at an inexpensive restaurant being quite affordable, while a three-course meal at a mid-range restaurant can be more expensive. Transportation costs in Aberdeen are reasonable, with options including buses, trains, and taxis. Owning a car can be more costly, with expenses such as petrol, insurance, and maintenance to consider. Healthcare in Scotland is publicly funded, so residents have access to free healthcare services. However, private healthcare is also available for those who prefer it, at an additional cost. Overall, while Aberdeen is not the cheapest city in the UK to live in, it offers a good quality of life with a cost of living that is manageable for many," said one expat in Aberdeen.
Will I save money living in Aberdeen?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What should I pack when moving to Aberdeen?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Aberdeen?
- Will I be able to find a job in Aberdeen?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Aberdeen appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Aberdeen?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Aberdeen accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Aberdeen like?
- How are healthcare services in Aberdeen?
- What are medical services in Aberdeen like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Aberdeen?
- What are emergency services like in Aberdeen?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Aberdeen?
- How are local medical facilities in Aberdeen?
- As a foreigner living in Aberdeen, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?