Living in France
Last updated on Mar 23, 2023
Summary: People often describe life in France as relaxed, romantic, and full of culture. Expats love the food, the wine, the art, the architecture, and the overall atmosphere of the country. The average cost of living for an expat is around $2,000 per month, depending on the city and lifestyle. The population of France is approximately 67 million people, and the largest cities are Paris, Marseille, Lyon, Toulouse, and Nice. The cons of living in France include the high cost of living, the bureaucracy, the language barrier, and the difficulty of finding a job. Additionally, the weather can be unpredictable and the public transportation system can be unreliable.
What do I need to know about living in France?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to France, they said:
"If you've never lived in France, get ready for the red tape for everything. Grenoble has great public transport and is a very liveable city," said one expat in Grenoble.
"The usual advise of: Rent for six months or a year. For me this is an ideal location, good climate, fruit and gardens do well. Interesting history, from Neandrathal, Celts Romans, Goths, English knights all involved to a greater or lesser degree. This is south center France about equi-distant from Atlantic to Med,Spain to Germany which means it's not close to anything. But there is pleanty of water sports and winter sports close by. Property prices are good and taxes and services not bad," said one expat who made the move to Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne.
How do I meet people in France?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What should I pack when moving to France?
- Where should I setup a bank account in France?
- Will I be able to find a job in France?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in France appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in France?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in France accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in France like?
- How are healthcare services France?
- What are medical services in France like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in France?
- What are emergency services like in France?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in France?
- How are local medical facilities in France?
- As a foreigner living in France, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?