What should I pack when moving to UK?
We asked people living in UK to list three things they wish they had brought and three they wish they had left behind. They responded...
"When moving to England, it is advisable to pack light, yet bring the necessary items for a comfortable transition. Some basics for a successful move could include clothes for different climates, a laptop and charger, prescriptions, medicines, a water bottle, any special dietary food items, toiletries and a first aid kit, towels and sheets, and perhaps some favorite items to make the new home feel like home. Additionally, it is wise to bring a few clothing items that can be mixed and matched - plus, some rain gear, as England is known for its wet weather," explained one expat living in UK.
"I should have brought stock cubes, because the ones in England lack flavour. Having relocated from S.E. Asia, I wish I had brought hand woven cloths and sachet spice mixes. I shouldn't have brought any furniture, as stuff from charity shops in England are inexpensive," said another expat in Sheffield, UK.
- What should I pack when moving to England?
- Where should I setup a bank account in England?
- Will I be able to find a job in England?
- What is life like in England?
- What do expats in England appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in England?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in England accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in England like?
- What are healthcare services like in England?
- What are medical services in England like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in England?
- What are emergency services like in England?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in England?
- How are local medical facilities in England?
- As a foreigner living in England, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
What should I pack when moving to UK?If you live in England, newcomers to England would love to hear your answer to this question.
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.