Cost of Living in Mexico City
Last updated on Jun 01, 2023
Summary: The cost of living in Mexico City, Mexico is generally considered to be quite affordable. A nice 1 bedroom apartment in Mexico City can cost anywhere from $400 to $800 USD per month, while a nice 2 bedroom apartment can cost anywhere from $600 to $1,200 USD per month. The cost of dinner at a moderately priced restaurant in Mexico City is usually around $10 to $15 USD per person.
Is the cost of living in Mexico City high?
We asked people how much they someone comfortably live on in Mexico City, they wrote:
"The cost of living in Mexico City varies significantly based on lifestyle and location choice. Housing prices and rental costs in some areas can be fairly low compared to other large metropolitan cities, while other upscale neighborhoods or city centers can be comparatively more expensive. Additionally, transportation is inexpensive, with bus and subway fares costing mere pesos and taxi rides often costing less than a few US dollars. Groceries and other everyday items, such as clothes and school supplies, can also cost less than many US cities. Despite this, dining out and entertainment can still be more expensive in some areas," explained one expat living in Mexico City.
Will I save money living in Mexico City?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What do I need to know before moving to Mexico City?
- How do I find a place to live in Mexico City?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Mexico City?
- What is the average cost of housing in Mexico City?
- Should I buy or rent a home in Mexico City?
- What should I pack when moving to Mexico City?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Mexico City?
- What advice do you have for expats having a baby in Mexico City?
- What are healthcare services like in Mexico City?
- Is the cost of living in Mexico City high?
- Will I save money living in Mexico City?
- Why do people move to Mexico City?
- How are healthcare services in Mexico City?
- What are medical services in Mexico City like?