Johannesburg, South Africa
Last updated on Jul 04, 2023
Summary: The approximate population of Johannesburg, South Africa is 5.6 million people. People often describe Johannesburg as a vibrant, cosmopolitan city with a unique energy and a diverse culture. Expats love the city's many attractions, including its lively nightlife, its excellent restaurants, and its many cultural and historical sites. The weather in Johannesburg is generally mild, with temperatures ranging from the mid-50s to the mid-80s Fahrenheit (10-30 Celsius). The average cost of living for an expat is around $1,500 to $2,000 per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is around $600 to $800 per month, while a two bedroom apartment is around $800 to $1,200 per month.
What do I need to know about living in Johannesburg?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Johannesburg, they said:
"Work with a relocation person to find out about shopping, schools, banking, etc. Check out Joburg (if possible) in advance. There are a lot of problems with crime so one has to be hyper aware at all times. But hey, it's Africa and Joburg in particular has it's own kinda vibe.........not a bad thing. Good luck," wrote one member in Johannesburg.
What do I need to know before moving to Johannesburg?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Johannesburg?
- How do I find a place to live in Johannesburg?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Johannesburg?
- What is the average cost of housing in Johannesburg?
- Should I buy or rent a home in Johannesburg?
- What should I pack when moving to Johannesburg?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Johannesburg?
- What advice do you have for expats having a baby in Johannesburg?
- What are healthcare services like in Johannesburg?
- Is the cost of living in Johannesburg high?
- Will I save money living in Johannesburg?
- Why do people move to Johannesburg?
- How are healthcare services Johannesburg?
- What are medical services in Johannesburg like?