Last updated on May 03, 2023
Summary: The approximate population of Brussels, Belgium is 1.2 million people. People often describe Brussels as a vibrant, international city with a rich cultural heritage. Expats love living in Brussels for its diverse population, excellent public transportation, and its proximity to other European cities. The weather in Brussels is generally mild with temperatures ranging from an average low of 35°F (2°C) in the winter to an average high of 68°F (20°C) in the summer. The average cost of living in Brussels for an expat is estimated to be around $2,500 per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment in Brussels is estimated to be around $1,200 per month, while a two bedroom apartment is estimated to be around $1,800 per month.
What do I need to know about living in Brussels?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Brussels, they said:
"Before retiring in Brussels, expats should research the cost of living and the availability of healthcare services. It is also important to familiarize oneself with the local language, as many people in Brussels speak French or Dutch. Additionally, expats should consider the tax implications of retiring in Brussels, as Belgium has a progressive tax system. Finally, expats should research the different neighborhoods in Brussels to find the one that best suits their needs," said one expat in Brussels.
What do I need to know before moving to Brussels?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Brussels?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Brussels?
- What is the average cost of housing in Brussels?
- How do I meet people in Brussels?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Brussels?
- What should I pack when moving to Brussels?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Brussels?
- Will I be able to find a job in Brussels?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Brussels?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Brussels?
- What is the social scene like in Brussels?
- What advice to expats in Brussels have about housing?
- What are medical services in Brussels like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Brussels?
- Is the cost of living in Brussels high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Brussels?
- Why do people move to Brussels?