Last updated on Sep 17, 2022
Summary: Expats, digital nomads and retirees talk about what it is really like living in Parma, Italy. They offer advice about meeting people, cost of living, finding a home and more.
What do I need to know before moving to Parma?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Parma, they said:
"Start early and look at everything that you can. You cannot tell what a place is like from pictures or even from the outside. Also, try to find a local that can help you," said another person in Parma.
How do I find a place to live in Parma?
We asked expats how they chose their neighborhood and found a place to live. They answered:
"We were desperate as we couldn't find anything to fit our needs so we just took the one we could find. It is not a great fit for us and we have continued to search for another apartment to no avail. Italy is a place where you have to know someone and we are just now finding those connections after 2 years," explained one expat living in Parma.
What should I bring when moving to Parma?
People living in Parma were asked what three things they wish they had brought and three they wish they had left behind. They wrote:
"Things I wish I brought: 1. Toll House chocolate chips 2. Asian food supplies (Hot and Sour soup mix) 3. Mascara (horribly expensive here) Things I wish I had left behind: 1. garden furniture (no garden) 2. extra furniture that doesn't fit 3. hair dryer, curling iron - don't work here even with adapters," added another person living in Parma.
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before retiring in Parma?
- What do I need to know before moving to Parma?
- How do I find a place to live in Parma?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Parma?
- What is the average cost of housing in Parma?
- How do I meet people in Parma?
- What should I pack when moving to Parma?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Parma?
- Will I be able to find a job in Parma?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Parma?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Parma?
- What is the social scene like in Parma?
- What advice to expats in Parma have about housing?
- What are medical services in Parma like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Parma?
- Is the cost of living in Parma high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Parma?
- Why do people move to Parma?